Posts




Sunday, February 5, 2012

Where His Treasure Is

When my mother passed away, she left me her pearl necklace. Heavy, creamy, and perfectly matched, it is beautiful and valuable. It's value, however, does not come from its fine quality or luxurious feel. 

Mother always intended for me to have this necklace; she saved it especially for me, but she didn't particularly want me to think of the pearls when I wear it.  She wanted me to remember her.  The necklace serves as an appropriate inheritance because it served her first as her treasured possession.

God has a treasured possession, too.  God's treasured possession is us.

They will be mine, says the Lord Almighty, on the day when I make up my treasured possession.--Malachi 3:17

In the same way that Mother wanted me to wear and make known what she most valued, God says we are what He most values, and He wants us to be known as His for all the ages.  We are what the Creator of the universe passes down through the generations.  We belong to Him, and He wants to show us off and share us.

Like Mother's pearls, God has worn us next to His very skin.  Some of Him has rubbed off on us and He shows us to the world.  "These," He says, "are mine."

 As God is our pearl of great price, so are we His.

10 comments:

  1. It blows my mind to think of myself as God's treasured possession, something He choose before the foundations of the world. What a beautiful reminder today that I am loved and treasured! Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need so much work, but are so loved as we learn. So hard to comprehend.

      Delete
  2. Great image - being worn next to His skin, and having some of Him rub off on us. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore my pearls to church yesterday, and their luxurious weight kept reminding me.

      Delete
  3. This is just amazing. As I clicked on your link I had my hand on my pearls around my neck. The amazing thing is it is the first time I've worn them in ages. I've had them for over 50 years. My mother didn't give them to me, but they are valuable. I'm thinking this was no accident. Thank you for sharing this post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how precious objects capture our imaginations. And how God uses them because they do.

      Delete
  4. I love pearls. And to know we are being worn by Him. What a blessing. And what HOPE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to gravitate to the sentimental value of objects...the engagement ring of my grandmother, a necklace my dad gave my mom and a pin he gave his mother. All of those items are loved by me because of the love they represent (a promise from a man to a woman, a token of love from my dad to my mom and then one of love to his mother). You are right. God sees us that way, too. We are precious in His sight, not because we have a monetary value, but because He loves us! And that gift is worth more than anything in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sentence just fills me with such love from the Father: Like Mother's pearls, God has worn us next to His very skin.

    Thank you for this gift this evening.

    ReplyDelete