Posts




Sunday, June 3, 2012

Jumping Out

We talk about slipping into sin, about backsliding.  Get real.  I don't know about you, but I got into that black pit not because I fell.  I leaped in with both feet, and with full, despicable knowledge.

But, by God's grace, I didn't stay there. I didn't know it then, but when He gave me a way out, we made a deal.  He calls it a covenant, but in plain language, it's a contract to which both parties bring binding agreement.  The God of the universe made a promise to me and I to Him.  This is it:  I will believe in Him, worship Him only.  I will wear proudly the gift of faith.  In return, He will defend me and give me peace.

You see, the world hasn't improved any since my days of deep sin.  In fact, it's gotten worse and will continue to do so.  I am in more danger from sinful surroundings and tendencies now than I ever was.  But I to not have to fear this disintegrating world. 

I am the Lord your God who teaches you what  is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  If you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have flowed like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea.--Isaiah 48:17-18


Though the mountains be shaken and the earth be removed, my unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the Lord who has compassion on you.--Isaiah 54:10

And the mountains will undoubtedly be shaken.  Some days, it feels like their rumblings already threaten.  But, as the earth tends more to violence and degradation, God's peace increases correspondingly--always faithful, always plenty. 

I do not need fear.  I am out. We have a deal.

If God is with us, who can be against us?--Romans 8:31
Remain in me and I will remain in you.--John 15:4
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts...since you were called to peace.  And be thankful.--Colossians 3:15

6 comments:

  1. God saved you by his grace when you believed (Eph 2:8). Once you were far away from God, but now you have been brought near to him through the blood of Christ (Eph 2:13). Praise!! PF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, He has. And I am full of praise as a result, but at the same time, acknowledge both the nature of the depths and how I got there. Thus does God get ALL the praise.

      Delete
  2. I agree. Knowing sin as intensely as I did back in the '50s and '60s, before coming to the Lord, I knew how our culture needed to change or people would be lost in many more ways. NOW, with the sinfulness buried in the everydayness around me, I am horrified. With kids, g-kids, friends, etc., whose normal language is filled with vulgarity as a "normal" way of speaking, when, w/o understanding, other gods are being exalted and worshiped by songs and movies, it truly drives me "crazy". I sure seem too picky, but I know the consequences. Breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not too picky. God is pretty picky, too. He didn't stutter when He said to worship "No other gods but Me."

      Delete
  3. Great words! Your first paragraph made me laugh... All I could think of was "ain't that the truth." Jumping back in with both feet. Sigh.

    Praise the Lord for His loving, redemptive and restorative nature! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to have a deal with the maker of the universe. He never goes back on his word either. This is something we should always remember. Thank you for the reminder.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete