Posts




Monday, February 27, 2012

Going Out to Fish

Like you probably do, I start each day with a fair idea of what I am going to do in it.  Even when I don't make a list, I usually know whether I will go to work or the grocery store or to lunch with a friend.

But God switches life up sometimes. 

Like a couple of weeks ago, when I started the afternoon visiting with a young mom and finished it in the emergency room.  Once the dust settles, you just kind of look around, shake your head a little, and wonder, "Now what?"

I think that Jesus' disciples  felt the same way during the weeks following the resurrection.  They'd been traveling with Jesus for years.  They knew what He wanted them to do every day.  "Follow me," He told them and they did.

But now they couldn't. Overnight, their life and mission evaporated.  They couldn't follow Jesus where He was going.  Most of the time, they didn't even know where He had gone.  The heck with it, they thought.

"I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you."  So they went our and got into the boat...--John 21:3

Why not?  They didn't have anything else constructive to do.  Jesus hadn't given them any other direction.  Might as well go back to the one thing they knew they were good at.

Jesus had told them once that He would make them fishers of men, but without Him, they didn't know how to begin.   Jesus had already accomplished salvation.  His work was done.  Was theirs done, too?

Then, just as suddenly as their work looked over, Jesus again lit their way.  Before the night was out, they had a boat full of fish and they were having breakfast with Christ again.  Even better, by the time they were done eating, He had begun to explain what they were to do.

Feed my sheep.--John 21:17

Peter and the gang were off and running again.  And it works the same way for us.

Sometimes, God shifts our gears and in the pause between, we feel at bit at a loss, somewhat out of focus.  But it won't last.  Just wait a bit.  At some point, He'll tell you what to do. 

And, in the meantime, you might as well go fishing.

10 comments:

  1. This portion of scripture often reminds me of the caution of going back to what is comfortable when something new isn't working out as I thought it would. Nice thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen & amen! Thanks for this reminder that God is in control of everything, including my life and my schedule! Thank God that He is for sometimes I don't know what to do... It's my prayer that I will embrace God's "interruptions" and the pauses He allows in my time and schedule. He is my King and my Lord after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the visual of these Scriptures. The idea of breakfast on that shore... It warms the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE when someone can open my eyes to scripture this way! To think about how they really probably didn't know what to do and decided, "well, let's go fishing I guess." Thanks for helping me see the disciples as people and not historical figures. I LOVE when people do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things that makes Christianity unique is its transparent honesty regarding the faults of its greatest men. Peter, Abraham, Moses, David...we know so much about their failings as well as their victories. It's so easy to relate. I love God for letting us see that.

      Delete
  5. "Overnight, their life and mission evaporated."

    How often I have felt like that when God takes an expected turn for me but really it has been His plan all along. He was waiting to give directions at the proper time. I need to remember that when I am waiting.

    Good food for thought. Visiting from SDG today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very thought provoking because we all have those turns in the road and say "now what?". Great teaching style, Mrs. P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog and for these words. I really needed to hear them! I was just shaking my head saying to the Great Above Me, "So what do you want me to do now?". Great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! The Lord sure provides everything we need. Not only the means but the vision and mission. I think I can easily take that forgranted, so thanks for writing about it! And thanks for linking up with Faith Filled Friday. We are blessed by you!

    ReplyDelete