Posts




Wednesday, September 5, 2012

At All Times? Really?

David, the man after God's own heart.  Listen to him--
Praise the Lord, O my soul, all my utmost being, praise His Holy Name.--Psalm 103:1
I will extol the Lord at all times, His praise will always be on my lips.--Psalm 34:1
At all times?  Really?

The song of God lived in David's heart.  His song and dance before the recovered ark was a single day in a life of songs that started much earlier--when he wandered the sheepfold, way before he ever picked up a sling and five stones.  He could not stop singing.
He sang fear and sorrow as well as victory and joy.  It was all a song.
But when David sang for the pleasure of God's gifts, he may sometimes have sung for the pleasure of his own sin.

David...the singer...and the sinner.  He sang at all times.
Did he praise the Lord as he rose from Bathsheba's bed?
Did he praise Him when he gave the order to put Uriah, her husband, into harm's way so he could hide his betrayal? 
He could have.
At least until Nathan forced him to see himself as God did...not as king, not as singer, but as betrayer and murderer.

For what do we praise God?
Can we see clearly what may be a blessing and what may not?
Do we praise Him for what He gives or what He does?
We only know safety when we thank God not for what He gives, but for who He is.
That is, when we praise His Holy Name.

God loves our praises.  They rise to His ears like a song, like incense.
David lived a habit of praise, and so can we.
But raise your voice in praise, not of circumstances, or for things, but in the presence of His holiness...
He is my God, and I will praise Him.--Exodus 15:2
Oh, praise the greatness of our God!--Deuteronomy 32:2



10 comments:

  1. I've been reading Samuel 1 & 2 .... And you have so many awesome questions I don't know where to start - but yes, What do we praise God for - wrong or right. I've chosen to just praise Him for HIM! Nothing else compares. Bless You!

    http://thejoyfulservant.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...to praise Him for HIM...yes, that's it exactly. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Praising for who He is and NOT what He does for me or can give me! When you can do this, I think it's a turning point in your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We praise Him for who He is. I'm always impressed by God saying David was a man after His own heart even after David had made such terrible choices. It gives me hope.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know...sometimes I have problems in praising without ceasing. It's that grumbling thing that gets in the way, and then i remember and give it a whirl. I always feel more connected afterward. As always...I'm still a work in progress. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think that the times we make a special effort to do just what you are describing are the ones that make God smile the most...

      Delete
  5. Praising, worshiping, and lifting my heart, soul, spirit, and mind to HIM, day in and day out. That counts more than anything, and His forgiveness is HIGHLY desired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps that is why God said David was a man after his own heart....because David, although human and not perfect.....he knew and praised the God who was perfect, and he had a teachable heart. ♫♪ Praise him in the morning, praise him in the evening ♪♫♪....

    ReplyDelete