Posts




Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Walking on Broken Glass

Photo credit: www.telegraph.co.uk
It's been a tough week--husband in the hospital, and my spiritual mother taking her last sweet breaths...
And this morning, I walked barefoot onto a kitchen floor covered with broken glass.
Really.

During the night, one of our cats knocked over a wine glass I left on the counter, unwashed, from the night before and it broke into the kind of million scary pieces that only thin, fragile glass can. It fell right near the kitchen door and scattered everywhere.  
When I walked in, though, I didn't get cut by it. 

As I stepped into the room, my toe kicked the first piece, pushing it out of the way. Then I took another step. And another. And then (finally) I looked down. Broken glass surrounded the spot where I stood.

I couldn't NOT have gotten cut.
But I didn't.

And that was the point.
It wasn't only my kitchen that was full of broken glass. My life was full of it, too.
Potential hurt and danger on two of life's fronts that mean the most to me. Potential fodder for fear. Definitely.

But God was carrying me.
He held me safe on all fronts, watched me so that I would not come to harm.
And, as I stood unharmed, surrounded by broken glass, I knew why He'd made for me a little miracle.
I knew what He was trying to say:

I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go...I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.--Genesis 28:15
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are numbered.  Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.--Luke 12:7

17 comments:

  1. He is always with us. My momma used to say that God always answers our prayers, but sometimes we don't like His answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a striking picture He gave you in that potential cat-astrophe! Wow. Prayers for you. And praise for Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise for Him. Yes, ma'am. I so appreciate your comments, Sylvia.

      Delete
  3. Talk about footprints in the sand. When he is carrying us.

    He was definitely speaking with you! I'm glad you are open to listening and hearing his voice.

    I pray all will be well.

    I'm visiting from the UBP.
    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Footprints in the sand...I hadn't thought about it that way. Thanks so much...

      Delete
  4. Love these sweet reminders of truth! Thank you! http://www.hollandfamilylife.com/1/post/2013/04/alaina-through-cultures.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaina: Thanks so much for UBP and stopping by...You have a lovely family.

      Delete
  5. wow that is amazing! I needed that . Love those God moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was amazing, and this felt more than a little God moment, like the difference between a peck on the cheek and a full-body hug. So good. Thanks for stopping by, Jacqueline. Like your last name. Would like to hear you say it. It sounds almost like it would be African...big and round.

      Delete
  6. I love powerful posts! This was powerful! And thanks be to our God for teaching ALL of us through you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise coming from you...Thanks, Valerie. Thanks be to God, indeed.

      Delete
  7. Yes. This. For all of us. Amen.

    Visiting from Sandy's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Such a straightforward way the Lord "broke" into your heart and filled you with peace and encouragement in the midst of challenges and sorrow. He does it for so many of us in so many ways. And we can count on Him. But, you obviously can, too! For a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, as these situations have continued to unfold, I have needed this image as a reminder more than once. God is not safe, but He still protects...

      Delete
  9. I love it when God speaks to us through the seemingly ordinary circumstances of our lives - like broken glass on the floor. Lovely illustration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, and it was indeed ordinary at the time, but I saw His hedge of protection only later. That darn cat...

      Delete