Posts




Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pitching a Fit, Part One


I have two sons, and shortly after they were born, I noticed something about them. I needed to teach them a lot. They needed to learn to speak properly, to eat politely, to say please and thank you, to treat others with respect, and to control their tempers. They also had to learn not to write on walls with magic markers, not to hit, not to go outside in their underwear, not to spit, and not to use the shrubbery for a bathroom. One thing I never had to teach them, however, was how to misbehave. Like most children, one of the first words they learned was "NO!" Completely on their own, they pitched angry fits. Somehow, they had come already hardwired for disobedience.

I do not like this one bit. Not only because it infers a hard truth about them, but because I know it applies to me, too. Simply put, I am born believing that I am the most important person in the world. My opinions and desires rank above anyone else's. I am going to do exactly as I want to as often as I can. In fact, I want to sin. I'm good at it and have been from the beginning. My black little heart harbors thousands of ways to sin and I can hardly wait to implement them. I know better, but I can't be blamed if I yield to them. Just this once....

This only have I found: God made men upright, but men have gone in search of many schemes.--Ecclesiastes 7:29

Adam and Eve did it, and immediately made excuses for themselves. I want to do the same thing. You give laws, and I break them. In the same way that I spent years trying to train the natural disobedience out of my children, You continue to train the natural disobedience out of me. I do not like this, not only because it is a great inconvenience, but because it requires hard work.

You, however, have more...
See part two later.

No comments:

Post a Comment