Posts




Saturday, March 31, 2012

Glorified Sticks

At this season, a grapevine looks like a dead stick.  The vineyard keeper has ordered all last year's growth cut off, everything that flourished and brought last year's beauty removed.  What he has left stretches plain and unadorned, sad and without promise.  At least to my eyes.

But He looks at things differently.
He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will bear much fruit.--John 15:2

Much of what grows in me does not honor God, and He cuts it off because it is useless for His purpose.  He has other plans.  He intends to grow good grapes, and then turn them into wine, into His glory.  Everything whose end does not produce glory goes on the scrap heap.

This is my prayer...that you may be filled...with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.--Philippians 1:11

And, once the vineyard leafs out and begins to produce, God intends to join me in it.  He responds when I grow in Him:

Let my Lover come into His garden and taste its choice fruits.
"I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride."--Song of Solomon 4:16-5:1

This is His promise to me...to be held close and loved as valuable, to live with Him as His bride.  A time will come when pruning is long done.  The sun will shine and the grapes will hang full and ripe.  I will call to Him and He will answer me.  But until then, I am satisfied to be a beloved barren stick waiting for summer.



14 comments:

  1. "...a barren stick waiting for summer." Love that phrase! Thanks for sharing. Beautiful! Glory to God alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a pruned grapevine before. What an amazing image to keep in my mind when I'm being pruned by the Gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this reminds me of a wonderful book by Margaret Feinberg called Scouting the Divine. She talks about a vintner and compares it to His words of the parable. Lovely thoughts today. Happy Palm Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great book...Hmm...might have to get that one. It's true that the agrarian images in Scripture pale in our urban western lives. Watching the grapevines change through the year remind me constantly of God's rich images of fruit and wine. So beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Father cut off in me that which does ot bear fruit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I so don't like to be groomed and pruned yet I know after the painful process of old torn away the new is fresh and reviving. It is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite things about Jesus is the way he uses these word pictures to help me understand. This is perfect. Thanks for sharing this image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful.
    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good deep thinking. I always avoid being the dead-looking stick... and HIS purposes are HIS deep thinking and His redemption and strong leadership. Maybe, if I am seeing grape barren sticks, I can just say "thank you, Father, for reminding me." Thank YOU, for sharing these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoid the dead-looking stick, too. Would much rather have big green leaves and lots of showy branches. Unfortunately, they tend to grow in the wrong direction...

      Delete
  9. Wow. How profound the thoughts you've shared here. I posted right behind you and that was no coincidence that was a God-incidence. I posted Song of Solomon 7:12. I am in awe of God showing up and confirming things in my life around every corner. Blessings to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An awesome word! Thank you for the reminder of our pruning seasons with God. Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pruning is important to the growth of plants and also the growth of people. Thank you for the reminder of its importance.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete