Posts




Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Stop, Already!

God gave us minds to think, but we are so dumb sometimes.  We have always been that way.

The carpenter cuts down cedars...half the wood he burns in the fire...he warms himself and says, "Ah, I am warm;" from the rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships.  He prays to it and says, "Save me, you are my god."...No one stops to think.--Isaiah 44:14-19

No one stops to think.
No one stops.

Go, go go.  Round and round.  Motion is work.  Be not a sluggard.  Keep going.  Don't give up doing good.

Good grief.  Stop already.  Think.

We fashion our gods from our own hands.  We fail to see the wooden gods we have made.
He feeds on ashes, a deluded heart misleads him.  He cannot save himself or say, "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"--Isaiah 44:20

We hold our gods in our right hand, bowing to them, reverencing how they make us feel: useful, effective, efficient.  It doesn't work that way. What do we call them?
Our job.
Our to-do list.
Our church activities.
Our blog.
Our club.
Our vacation.
Our recreation.
Our quiet time.
Anything.  Absolutely anything, even an immovable and inviolable prayer time, can be turned to serve a purpose that is not God's.

God wants only one thing from us:
Remember these things, O Jacob, for you are my servant, O Israel...Return to me, for I have redeemed you.--Isaiah 44:21,22

You are my servant.  Return to me.
How can we ignore Him?
Our idols lie dead in our palm but He lives, vibrant and expectant, waiting to share power and glory.
Stop spinning and look up.  How can we say 'No'?

10 comments:

  1. Your words always point to a good and gracious God. Thank you, heart-sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wise words! It's the "looking up" that we fail to do in the midst of all running and going and doing. Thanks for such a great reminder! Stopping in from The Grace Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my Bible at Is. 2:8, that mentions idols, I have written: "education, jobs, houses, cars, children." Yes, they can be everyday necessities and blessings... but, they can also be ahead of our focus on the Lord. Your post is exactly where I've been thinking for a very long time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are all those things you have mentioned and more...Lately I have come to see that even the way I approach my quiet time with God is morphing into an idol. Yuck! Fortunately, God redeems as we keep our eyes on Him.

      Delete
  4. Spinning, spinning, spinning. And even our quiet time can be turned into an idol. That stopped me. Get more done in less time after we've spent time with Him. Is that my focus? Or is it Him and Him alone? Thanks for making me think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Following you from the Weekend Blog Walk. Look forward to reading more! Have a great weekend!
    -Kat

    I would appreciate the follow back!

    http://mom-uncensored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it is something that we hold too tightly, something that we think twice about giving up at His prodding, yes, I do believe that is an idol. And I do believe I have a few...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great words! I found your blog through the Weekend Blog Walk and am happy to be your newest follower! I would love for you to follow me back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com! :)

    ReplyDelete