Posts




Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Closed-circuit Love

God is love.
Yes, most of us have heard this already.
Whoever does not love does not know God because God is love.--John 4:8

So, what does God's love look like?
The Bible provides a whole list:
Love is patient, kind, not envious, not boastful, not proud, not rude or self-seeking, not easily angered.  --1 Corinthians 13:4-5 paraphrased
There's more, but you get the idea. 
Then, if I am all of those things, I am loving like God does.
Well....no.  Not really.
That's like saying that if I am brown and shaggy, bark and wag my tail, I am a dog.

The problem with looking at love this way is that we are doing so backwards.
Love does not come from anything we do. Nothing.  
We cannot manufacture love.
Love comes from God and only from God.
We contribute nothing other then receiving and exercising it.

I can love my husband and children because God gave me His love.
I can love my friends because God gave me His love.
I can love my enemies for the same reason.
It is all the same thing, from the same place, for the same purpose.

And how do we recognize it?
God's kind of love is completely free of self-interest.
In God's world, self-love doesn't exist.
God's love looks out, not in.
Ever.
It comes from God and goes back to Him, a closed circuit.
And when we love like God, we are with Him.
We are His creation, part of His family.
Because of this, when we love, we enjoy heaven on earth.

5 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhh, 'closed-circuit love'. Now I get it.

    You have such a way with words, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. While I believe in having a healthy self-esteem, I've always taken issue with the song that says, "Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all."

    Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Sandra's place.
    Heaven on earth. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm late getting here...thank you for adding your wonderful blog to the Thursday Favorite Things hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Relying on our Lord for Love is what counts. Good reminder. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete