Posts




Saturday, September 14, 2013

Is Anybody Home?

photo:thepress.net
The Tent of Meeting.
That's where You met Moses, Lord.
Before the tabernacle.
Before the temple.
Moses put up a tent and whoever wanted to talk to You went there.
Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the Tent of Meeting. Anyone inquiring of the Lord would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp.--Exodus33:7

Moses used to carry this tent around with him. It didn't stay in one place. The tent went with him wherever he went.
I'm thinking, Lord, that if Moses could do this, why can't I?
And, if I can, what does it look like?
Where do I meet you? Where do you come to me?

Can it be in the red glow of a summer sunset?
Can it be in my baby's smile?
Can it be in the smell of fresh bread?
Or a candle's glow? Or the morning sun through stained glass? Or that small circle of bread held above a cup of wine as Your body and blood?
You are there, in all these and more, if I have the wit to see you.

I need to find my Tent of Meeting, the place where You show yourself.
And then I can say, like Moses did:
Now show me Your Glory!--Exodus 33:18

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I've been reading in Deuteronomy that God told the people to bring an offering to 'the place where God will dwell.'
    He dwells in us--I think WE'RE the offering some times.

    Your words always make me smile, JoAnne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deuteronomy still has plenty to say, that's for sure. I do so like its reverence for God's holiness. Think you might be right about us being the offering, too. Oh, that I might please God...

      Delete