Posts




Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Taking off the Mask: Wearing Truth

photo: reachinghurtingwomen.blogspot.com
I'm a hypocrite.
I admit it. So are you.

This is why:
Every time I sin, I have lied about what I believe. I have lied to whoever has witnessed my sin but, worse, I have lied to myself.

Here's how it works: I say I want to do the right thing, that I don't want to sin. And then I do. How does that work? Is someone twisting my arm to take a third piece of cake? To snark at my husband? To spend time at work on the phone with friends? Really?
Even the writer of Hebrews knows:
In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of death.--Hebrews 12:4

This is the truth--
I always do exactly what I want to do. 
Every time.
The devil never makes me do it. He can't. I have to cooperate. I have to agree. We all do.

Think about it. Imagine someone who is a compulsive thief. He says he loves God and wants to obey Him, but just can't seem to stop himself. We call this behavior an addiction and it probably is. Addiction is a real thing, but even an addict lies to himself and we often let him. Even given the physical pull of addiction, at some level the addict likes his behavior. He enjoys the thrill of cheating, the belonging of gossip, the comfort of the drug. They not only feel like they can't, but deep down do not want to give it up.

We choose our sin.

Here's a more honest approach. Just say it.
Adultery is exciting.
Gossip makes us feel important.
Food makes us happy.
Anger vindicates us.

Our faults and habitual sins are not mitigated in the least when we go to church on Sunday or read our Bible but don't change. Unaltered sinful behaviors do not characterize a Christian. They indicate a Pharisee.

There is a a relief, a kind of grace, in admitting who we really are. Try it sometime.
Substitute "I struggle with nagging, but can't seem to stop" with "I don't dare stop nagging him. Nothing will ever get done." Admit that we care less that nagging is wrong than about getting the garbage taken out.

God knows this is hard, but He wants us to examine our real motives:
I desire truth in the inner parts--Psalm 51:6

Before we can turn our true face to the world, we have to turn a true face toward God and toward ourselves.
What are we really afraid of? The Christian mask we are wearing will have to come off sooner or later. We might as well take it off now. The Christian truth lies underneath.

Linking up this week with http://christianmommyblogger.com/fellowship-fridays-22-link-parties-worth/

12 comments:

  1. I like this. We have to take responsibility for our sins. That's what repentance is all about. David did this before the Lord constantly. I cringe whenever I hear someone say "I struggle with..." It shows a lack of interest in stopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. We've developed stock phrases and don't always fully consider their full implications. "I struggle with" is one of them. Following you back.

      Delete
  2. You are so on it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela. A former student who saw this post on Facebook reminded me that we talked about this in class seven or eight years ago. She still remembered it. That made me smile.

      Delete
  3. What a challenge -- admitting who we really are, taking off the mask and laying out why we sin. It's so much easier to cover up, isn't it? Yet if we want life abundant we must! I must!
    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words of Wisdom and Truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But hard words sometimes. Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete
  5. This is a very powerful thought. It is only when we are honest with ourselves that we can begin to change. Joshua 1:9 says, "God is with you wherever you go." He knows our hearts, but He is still with us always encouraging us to walk in wisdom, to choose to walk with him. It is only when we stop lying to ourselves that we can begin to understand what that really means. Thank you, this was a beautiful, challenging idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Amanda. Wouldn't it be great if we could do this without so much angst?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If we don't remove our masks - we cannot get the God support we need - and we cannot receive the full measure of the help we need. It has a trickle down effect - this mask removing - a blessing trickle down effect! I agree with Amanda - challenging ideas here - ideas that challenge us in a place to free us to be better women, mothers, friends and wives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Our ability to admit who and what we really are determines the degree to which we can enter into God's blessings...but it sure doesn't feel like a blessing at the time. Thanks, blue.

      Delete