Posts




Saturday, June 15, 2013

What He Gave Me

Most people grow up with an expectation of disappointment or an overriding attitude of fear.
It's true.
I didn't know it for a long time but when I started to ask, almost everyone told me this.
Disappointment and fear: is this how we are meant to live?
No, of course not.

I grew up with an expectation of wonder. And I got it from my dad.
When we were young, Dad took us out for rides on Sunday afternoons (gas was 25 cents). He never told us where we were going, so we looked with anticipation around every corner, asking "Are we there yet?"  When we finally arrived, always at a place Dad had found just for the occasion--a waterfall, or a pristine sledding hill, or a remote Hopi village--he presented it to us with a flourish as if to say, "Isn't it wonderful?" And it always was.
And that was our framework for life.
He showed me what a really fine tomato tastes like.
He marked out the profile of the man in the moon.
He plunged my hands into yeasty, rising dough.
He rolled me down a hill fragrant with just-cut grass.
He stood me in front of President Lincoln and told me to think.
He showed me what the world looked like from the sky.
And it was all wonderful.

My father told me to be smart and careful, but not to be afraid.
And, more importantly, he taught me to LIVE. 
And, without meaning to, he taught me about God.

Do not fear, for I am with you--Isaiah 41:10
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity--2Timothy 1:7
I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.--Psalm 27:13

7 comments:

  1. This. is. wonderful!
    And you know, it brought to remembrance several things like this that my dad gave me, that I hadn't thought about. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be pretty amazing guys, can't they? And what that teach us about our Father God...yes.

      Delete
  2. Hi! This is my first time to your blog...what a beautiful tribute to your father! He must be so proud of you.

    I would love to 'join' your blog and get to know you better.

    Happy Father's Day!

    Peace in Christ,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Ceil...so glad you stopped.
      I guess my dad was proud of me...he died in 2009...but oh, what he left me.
      Thanks for coming along to hear it. I do appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. What a blessed legacy, Joanne. This was a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete