Posts




Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beyond the Math

You were so darned human. As I strain hard to touch Your divinity, I keep getting derailed by Your flesh and blood. Because my own humanity does not, in fact cannot, exist alongside perfect holiness, I just find Yours so hard to comprehend. My entire human experience reinforces a simple principle:

Humanity = Sin
God = No Sin

Yet You lived as both God and Man. Clearly, I am missing something.

I know You were human less because You walked and talked and bled than by what You felt. You knew compassion, sadness, hurt, joy, loneliness. Animals and insects bleed, but they do not know love. You did. And a long time ago, when You lifted a handful of dirt and breathed Yourself into it, You shared Your ability to experience more than pulse and muscle movement. You gave us a part of Yourself.

Emotion is important not because of itself, the shedding of tears or the unexpected smile, but because of its source. The God who walked with Adam in the cool of the day was not flesh and blood, but Adam knew His presence by the awareness it produced in him. You were that God then, You were that God on Calvary, and You still are.

You do not walk in the cool of my day, but You lend me the parts of Yourself I recognize, all the loving and all the compassion and all the longing. I reach out and risk to feel because You did, and You take my hand in the process. Your humanity is not like mine, but You use it to make me a way.

Son of God = Son of Man

Oh Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing.--Matthew 23:37

No comments:

Post a Comment