Posts




Thursday, May 12, 2011

Coming Home


But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and blessed him. The son said to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son." But the father said to his servants, " Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." --Luke 12: 20-24

I live by necessity in two states--that of the humiliated repentant and that of the forgiven. You constantly forgive as I come to You humiliated and humble, but You also constantly rejoice over my restoration. I know at once sweet misery and welcome comfort. You live in me to the extent I open up the rooms of my soul for You to clean.

I may choose to live in the pig lot, but You will not. You wait patiently in Your courtyard for me, scanning the horizon for my return, looking for the smallest indication that I may be coming home. And the homecomings occur moment by moment as I acknowledge my sin before You.

Isn't then the most sensible request that to see all of my sin? After all, I can't come home, can't get anywhere near you, while sin still clings to me like sewage. This has to be the real joy of living in a fallen world--the repeated coming home, the collapse into your delighted arms, the restoration in Your overflowing grace. A state of humiliation before You is better than separation from You. You forgive quickly and completely and forever. This is the new morning You promise, full of mercy.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness--1 John 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment