Posts




Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The First Thing

Last evening, I watched a Bible lesson in progress. Our friends Thad and Kim visited with their six little boys and we watched the children tumble over one another for about eight hours, delightful as puppies. At some point, one of the boys asked his dad whether he could go outside and shoot his BB gun. Dad told him to put on his shoes first. Young Aiden had a few more things to say about what he wanted to do next and how, something about a brother and a bullseye. Dad, however, simply told him, " How about you obey me first, and then we can talk about the rest?" Aiden did.

That's what You tell me. Every morning, events lay at my feet right next to my slippers. I have things I must clearly do, clear as putting on my shoes. These activities, small or large, encompass your clear instructions to me and I must simply do them without embellishment. When the phone rings, or mail arrives in my inbox, You are speaking in subtle whisperings, saying, "I love you. Just look at what I am going to let you do for me today."

I don't have look far. You may not put the subtleties of Your character or the intricacies of Your Word on the lower shelf, but You leave me no doubts as to what activities You require. You tell me simply and plainly. I just have to look at the lamp you have lit and walk.

This is love for God, to obey His commands--1John 5:3
Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path--Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment