Posts




Wednesday, July 29, 2026

I Need a Hero

 

I went to see Chris Nolan's Odyssey yesterday.

I couldn't resist, having a sincere weakness for Homer and his epic poems - that Nolan should attempt this fabulous tale, one that has never lost its fascination, was worth the ticket alone. But it didn't work for me.

We left half way through, unsatisfied, and not knowing at first exactly why. I was just disappointed, deflated, knowing that something crucial was missing. And then my companion shook his head. I didn't see Odysseus, he said. All I saw was Matt Damon. That was it. It was impossible, incredible, but Nolan had made the Odyssey without a real hero. Matt either didn't have it in him or couldn't find it or was directed badly. Never mind that Telemachus was almost Woke or that the CG was better than some of the acting. The movie tried really hard, but in the end, at least for me, it fell flat. 

Then I started to think. Why is Homer so important, so lasting? I think it's that we love heroes.

Oh sure, there's a lot of talk about sports heroes and that kind of thing, but a real hero? They are a bit harder to come by. And what defines them? Bonnie Tyler, in 1984, thought she knew:

Where have all the good men gone, and where are all the gods?

Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night, I toss and I turn, and I dream of what I need
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong, and he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure, and it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life, larger than life  
And maybe she wasn't too far from right on. Okay, the white knight business is a bit much, but some of rest sounds pretty right. Strong and fast, sure and right on time. That makes a lot of sense. Someone who brings just what we need when we can't and it seems like we need it so much. It's not always someone like Hercules or Odysseus or Achilles. It's not always even a man. Sometimes it's the person who is standing right next to you, the one who reaches into your chaos without fear and says "lean on me". And then does it. Every time. 
As far as films go, Uberto Pasolini and Ralph Fiennes did much better by Odysseus in his The Return. Here was an Odysseus I could understand. 


Worn from 20 years of war and struggle, he was visibly shredded, but found something in him that was larger than life and became the hero, not because he killed all the bad guys and came home to the girl, but because battled his own demons and won right before our eyes. Better than that, in the process he gathered in the people around him and proved true. 
There aren't many people like this in our world. There's a lot of flash and a lot of emotion, but real heroes? Not so much. They might be there, but they're hiding in plain sight most of the time.
You know, most of us can handle our day-to-day crises, even the larger ones that rear their nasty heads. But there are those days when our resources are at an end, when our doubts and fears get the best of us, and it's on those days we long for a hero who will stand in the gap of our weaknesses. 
I have two of them. There is God of course, who never fails and when my faith is strong enough to hold on to Him who has no flesh and blood, I gather all the strength I need from Him. But there are still those days when I shrink and fade in the face of the world's roller coaster. That's when my life's companion steps in. His hands, very much flesh and blood, reach out and catch me with confidence, strong and always right on time, and then hold on tight until I stop shaking.
May we all need to be someone's hero. It's in there. We just need to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment